"I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being." -Oscar Wilde

7/16/11

Add-ons.

In Alejandro Monteverde's 2006 film, Bella, a scene plays out between a customer and a cashier at a local drugstore in New York. The man buying claims to have already given the other man behind the counter a 10 dollar bill, but the cashier refuses to believe him. The customer says: "If you'll just open up your drawer you'll see that it's there!" But the other man refuses. He threatens to call the police if the buyer doesn't calm himself (he, also, raising his voice now) and the frustrated customer bursts out of the shop. As Nina approaches the counter, the cashier gives her the amount for her water, flings open his cash drawer, and sees a 10 lying diagonally across the other bills.

It's been hard for me to choreograph this show, because the director keeps changing her mind as to what she wants me to choreograph. I sat down with her at a table, and we went through everything that I would do, everything that she would do, and the few things that we weren't yet sure about. I choreographed everything she told me--and taught it to the cast. But now she's claiming to have told me that she wanted me to teach them a few other numbers in addition to those.

I'm so confused. I hate that this happened. I hate feeling like I've let people down, and I hate that now, people are going to think that I'm unreliable to work with. I've given my director exact change. She told me $10. Not $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment